This beautiful three masted topsail schooner was built in 1942 at the renowned J. Ring Andersen’s Shipyard in Svendborg, Denmark. She was built as a cargo ship from a design based on drawings from the end of the 19th century. In 1974 she was bought by a privately owned shipping company in Denmark, whom changed the cargo ship into a pleasure craft. In1996 she was acquired by Carlsberg A/S, the very company she had transported most of their beerpackaging for back in the days as a cargo ship. She was refurbished and new main engine was installed. In their ownership from 1996 to 2010 she was used for representation, teambuilding and meetings as well as attending Tallship races.
From 2010 until today she has been in the hands of the widow from the shipping company owner and subsequently fully refurbished incl. engine overhaul and new masts. (Under Tall-Ship expert supervision)
All restoration and yearly service has been carried out by the building shipyard J. Ring Andersen.
Today ZAR stands out as one of the finest classic schooners available in Northern Europe and the only one certified by Det Norske Veritas (today DNV GL A/S).
In 1996 she was declared as a Traditional Ship and all service and maintenance has been done according to tradition as required.