1981 Whitby Yachts
42' (12.80m) Whitby 42 Center Cockpit - SV Sunbeam
Sunbeam truly is a "One Of A Kind" beautifully presented Whitby 42' Ketch Rigged Cutter and she has been loved and lived on by her current owners for the last 30 years. If you are looking for a vessel that is a spacious safe thoroughbred with phenomenal stowage that you can literally take anywhere,
- Port Charlotte Florida United States
- Whitby 42 Center Cockpit
- Fiberglass Hull
Curtis Stokes & Associates is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by S&J Yachts. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
LOA: 42' " (12.80 Meters)
Type: Sail - Used
Beam: 13' "
Bridge Clearance: ' "
Draft Max: ' "
Draft Min: ' "
Maximum Speed: Knots
Cruise Speed: Knots
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Fuel Tank: Gallons ( Liters)
Fresh Water: 150 Gallons (567.81 Liters)
Holding Tank: 18 Gallons (68.14 Liters)
Full DetailsView Full Details
Sunbeam Descriptive Notes
Fort Myers Yacht & Shipbuilding
1981 Whitby 42’ Cutter Rigged Ketch
Sunbeam is a one-of-a-kind beautifully presented Whitby 42’ Ketch Rigged Cutter and she has been loved for 30 years by her current liveaboard owners.
Sunbeam has been upgraded over the years to achieve probably one of the best examples of this true liveaboard Whitby in the current fleet. Her owners have continued to upgrade and maintain her throughout their 30-year period on board. Much thought has been given and work carried out to maximize storage, add creature comforts, functionality and of course livability. I have seen many Brewers and Whitby’s over the years but this one stands out and I would absolutely recommend anyone looking to travel the world or simply live the Island dream to come and visit her where she currently resides in Charlotte Boat Storage Placida Florida.
The Whitby is a truly tried and tested ocean equipped liveaboard sailing boat that has a fabulous following and I believe the very first serious sailor to come and visit will be hard pressed to turn away without leaving a deposit.
· A bright cheerful interior, fully painted with Awlgrip for beauty and easy cleaning.
· A professionally designed and built dining booth which converts into a full-sized bed.
· Interior cabinetry, all of which has been modified or built new.
· A custom-built Tupperware dry provisions storage drawer.
· Easily accessible storage drawers and areas everywhere with voids turned into utilized storage.
· Bookshelves with an assortment of informational and sailing books and room for your favorites.
· A built-in swing arm mounted TV which can become a computer workstation with large screen monitor.
· All cockpit teak and deck handrails replaced with Starboard to eliminate annual maintenance.
· All deck surfaces covered with Diamond Pattern Treadmaster nonskid.
· A custom-built deck box on the bow for ground tackle storage.
· A bottom added to the cockpit locker.
· Insect screens on all ports and hatches.
Sunbeam, as can be seen, has been modified to be both a cozy liveaboard home and a seaworthy vessel, fully equipped and capable of taking new owners on an adventure of their own, wherever that may be. She is not a boat for everyone. She needs an owner that will appreciate all these modifications and be as happy and comfortable with her as her current owners have been. Hull number: #FMW 218
Note re - running rigging, in cockpit reefing, Lazyjacks
Original main sail had Dutchman reefing with control lines running to the cockpit. The hardware and winch are still in place.
Current Owners purchased a new FX Four full batten sail with lazyjacks and a MackPack in 12/22. It is mounted on the Isomat boom and lazyjacks are installed but the sail is not yet rigged. It will be up to the new owner to rig it in the way HE chooses.
Genoa control lines run to the cockpit.
MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL AND PLUMBING SYSTEMS:
Lehman Diesel approx. 2,700 hrs (Fully Maintained)
· 2# Fresh Water Tanks (150 gallons approx)
· Fresh Water Pressurization system.
· Galley Water Filtration System.
· Seagull Water Purification Unit.
· Isotemp Spa - Marine Water Heater.
· Whale Gusher Galley - Foot Operated water pump for saltwater delivery to galley sink.
· 3700 GMP Sump Pump w/Ultra Safety System Float Switch and High-Water Alarm.
· LoPro Bilge Pumps - Mini Sump
· Whale Gusher 10 - Emergency Manual Bilge Pump.
· Force 10 Stove - 3 Burner / Oven
· Magma BBQ.
· Propane safety control switch
· Seafrost Refrigeration system
· Seafrost Freezer system
· March Pump for raw water cooling.
· Battle Born Lithium Batteries (4# @ 100 Ah per battery)
· Victron Energy Smart MPPT Charging Controller.
· Xantrex SW 3012 150Amp Inverter/Charger with Xantrex 5SCP System Control Panel
· Xantrex Link Pro Battery Monitor.
· Balmar MC614 Multistage Regulator.
· 2# ALT-E 300W Solar Panels.
· Powermax 120 Amp House Bank Alternator.
· Kiss High Output Wind Generator.
· Pulsar Gasoline Auxiliary Generator.
· Cockside Electrical Cables.
HULL, DECK, RIGGING AND SAILS (gear on deck, in cockpit, canvas, winches, windlass, anchors, sail inventory, etc.)
· Mainsail - FX Sails 4 full battens w/ 3 reefing points installed new 12/2022.
· Mack Sails - Mack Pack with Harken Lazy Jacks - Installed New 12/2022.
· ProFurl Headsail - Roller Reefing Furler system.
· Mizzen Sail.
· Working Jib.
· Spinnaker and Sock.
· Isomat (Main Boom).
· Mechanical Boom Vang.
· Mast Steps on both main and Mizzen
· Full Winch system
· 30Kg Bruce.
· 25Kg Rocna.
· Danforth Kedge.
· 175’ continuous ⅜” BB Anchor Chain on Primary Anchor.
· 50’ of ⅜” BB Chain on 150’ of ¾” 3 strand Nylon rode for secondary anchor
· 18’ diameter Para-Tech Sea Anchor.
· Stainless Port Lights - Newfound Metals.
· All New Stainless Chain Plates.
· Custom Hard Dodger with rain catchment system.
· Vetus Alexander Windlass
· Globe Master Series Compass.
· 4# 15” Stainless Mooring Cleats with full backing plates.
· Full backing plate under entire foredeck encompassing cleats and windlass.
· Life sling.
· Fenders, docklines.
· Saltwater deck wash down for anchor / rode.
· Closed-cell foam cockpit cushions with Sunbrella.
· LED lighting throughout with LED running lights and mast head tricolor.
· Swim ladder.
· Cockpit enclosure front and sides.
· Swim ladder.
· 10 fans – 2 in V-berth; 2 in Back cabin; 5 in Salon; 1 in back head
NAVIGATION, COMMUNICATION AND ENTERTAINMENT
· B&G Plotter
· B&G Radar
· Navionics electronic charts for Eastern USA and Bahamas, new in 2021. Also Navionics electronic charts for Mexico to Brazil, new in 2023.
· Standard Horizon VHF Radio with GPS location beacon (new 2023)
· Shakespeare 5215 VHF Antenna.
· ICOM M710.2 Single Sideband Radio.
· ICOM HF Antenna Tuner AT-130
· Pactor Modem
· Alpha Autopilot
· Datamarine Depth Sounder and wind instrumentation.
· 3# 12V Paneltronics Circuit Breaker Panels.
· 8# Circuit plus main breaker 120V panel.
· Shore Power Isolating Transformer
· SAFETY AND CONVENIENCE (flares, PFD’s, microwave, spares, etc.)
· Ford Lehman 80HP Diesel Engine.
· Transmission Marine Velvet Drive.
· Vetus Drive Coupling.
· Max Prop.
Top end rebuild in 2000
Yes in 2000
Fuel Tank gallons
Number of Fuel Tanks
Fuel Tanks Original?
Water Tank gallons
Number of Water Tanks
Water Tanks original?
Holding Tank gallons
Holding Tank Number
Max prop or 3/4 blade fixed
Replaced port lights?
Yes, all Stainless
Opening Port Lights in Cabins?
Hot water heater?
Some 5 in Salon; two in V-berth; two in back cabin; one in back head
Yes, All ports and hatches
Updated in 1998
Updated cushions and mattress
Storage Cabinets in V?
Storage Cabinets in Aft?
Standing Rigging age
Inspected and refurbished in 2015. At that time the mast was pulled and completely restored (all fittings removed and refurbished; all rigging inspected and refurbished; all paint removed and repainted with Awlgrip.)
Running Rigging age
Varies, in good condition. * See note below
Max Bridge Clearance
54.7 to top of lightening rod. However top gear can be pulled to the side from deck to allow clearance of 53.8
In cockpit reefing?
* See note below
New/checked chain plates?
No soft spots on deck?
Expanded/enlarged rudder for better helm control
No Bimini. Hard top installed.
The enclosing curtains do not extend to the back of the cockpit. Only front and sides.
25KG Rocna and 30KG Bruce
Feet of chain
175 feet continuous chain on primary anchor. Additional chain was removed and is stored aft to balance the weight on the boat.
Dual Bow Roller?
Through Hulls replaced?
No, they are original and all good and working.
Age of Main
2022 Purchased and Installed December 2022
Age of Genoa
It is in good condition. Age is unknown. Replaced Sunbrella UV protection a few years ago and it looks good.
Age of Mizzen
It is in good condition. Age is unknown. We don’t use it.
Age of Staysail
It is in good condition. Age is unknown. We don’t use it.
* See note below
Roller Furling Genoa
Roller Furling Main
Removable Inner Stay
Spinnaker and Gear?
It is in good condition. Age is unknown. We don’t use it. Yes
Yes 9.9 Yamaha new in 2019
We use the halyard on the mizzen mast to lift the motor.
No When we bought the boat there were davits on the transom. We removed them. Since they were originally there, I am sure some could be added if desired. We normally tow the dinghy and store it upside down on the foredeck for long passages.
Navigation Wind vane
TV / Stereo System
Yes, there is a TV. There is not a stereo. We use Bluetooth speakers.
Number of Heads
Bosun's Chair / Mast Climbing
Steps on Main and Mizzen masts
Yes, there are 4
Amp hours battery pack
Age of Batteries
Purchased in 11/2021, Installed in 1/2022
Lithium? AGM? Gel?
Yes, Xantrex 3012SW with SCP and Linkpro monitor
Pulsar Purchased new 11/2021
Yes B&G, New in March 2019 – Navionics electronic charts for U.S. and Bahamas (new in 2021); Navionics electronic charts for Mexico to Brazil (new in January 2023)
Yes B&G, New in March 2019
Yes, with Pactor Modem. We use this for sending and receiving emails and weather information
Yes, Standard Horizon with GPS emergency beacon, new in March 2023
shore power cord?
LED Interior lighting?
LED Nav Lights?
Stove / Oven?
Built In Microwave Oven?
Fresh/salt Foot Pump
12v freezer or icebox?
External propane locker?
Yes, but out of date
First Aid Kit
Publications / Placards
Yes, also numerous chart kits and cruising guides
Yes, needs new supplies inside
SPOT or InReach Communicator
Man Overboard Pole?
Personal Locating Beacons
Spare Parts Included?
No teak on deck, Entire gel coat deck is covered with Diamond Pattern Treadmaster
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
- Engine Make: Ford Lehman
- Engine Model: 4-254 Diesel
- Engine Year: 1981
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 80.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 2700.00
Click any image to view enlarged version. Swipe enlarged image to see additional enlarged images.