1965 Sparkman & Stephens
45' (13.74m) Sailmaster Yawl 45 - MIDNIGHT
Dutch-built, completely restored and fully upgraded. FRP construction, newer engine, electronics, sails, rigging, hull, deck and interior finish. 2-stateroom/2-head layout. Only two owners since her original commission, MIDNIGHT is in excellent shape.
- Dighton Massachusetts United States
- Sailmaster Yawl 45
- Fiberglass Hull
MIDNIGHT (ex: Melita II) was designed by Sparkman & Stephens and built by one of Europe’s finest yards, Weaf Gusto of Holland. MIDNIGHT will appeal to those desiring traditional lines and heavy fiberglass construction. Full keel underbody with private aft stateroom and two heads. Only two owners since her original commission. MIDNIGHT is in excellent shape – she has had numerous refits and is perhaps, in many respects, better than new.
Her long keel and wine glass sections give a comfortable motion in a seaway and instill confidence in her ability to handle any condition. Her displacement of 13 tons ensures she reacts calmly to wash and chop, and is surprisingly stiff.
She finished 2nd in class in the 2011 Marion to Bermuda race, including Marion Town Trophy.
Curtis Stokes & Associates is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by Wellington Yacht Partners. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
LOA: 45' 1" (13.74 Meters)
Type: Sail - Used
Beam: 11' "
Bridge Clearance: ' "
Draft Max: 6' 6"
Draft Min: ' "
Double Berths: 1
Maximum Speed: 8 Knots
Cruise Speed: Knots
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Fuel Tank: 55 Gallons (208.2 Liters)
Fresh Water: 140 Gallons (529.96 Liters)
Holding Tank: 18 Gallons (68.14 Liters)
Full DetailsView Full Details
LAYOUT and DESIGN
The lay-up from keel to water line consists of fiberglass, in total 25.5 oz/sq.ft. From water line to deck the lay-up consists of fiberglass, in total 19.5 oz/sq.ft.
The strength of the hull and deck have been calculated as being freely supported without taking into account stiffenings such as bulkheads.
- Hull painted Jet Black Awlgrip (2011)
- Waterline painted is White Perfection (2011)
- The sheer is gold with Sailmaster/Seafarer insignia
- Interlux 2000 epoxy barrier coat system (2011)
- Bottom painted Green Interlux CSC Extra (2021)
- Bronze three-bladed sailor’s prop (2021)
Deck and superstructure consists of 1” balsa with 5 ½ oz. of fiberglass; the bottom layer is 6 oz. fiberglass. Deck to hull connection is reinforced by a tapered step back lay-up of 16 oz. fiberglass and fitted by means of stainless steel bolts.
2006 - Installation of inner headstay, deck mounted and tabbed to hull
- (13) Hood portlights, all opening with screens
- Windlass - Lewmar V3, 5/8’s rope/chain gypsy
- 44 lb Lewmar claw anchor (2021)
- 75’ 5/16 HT chain with 5/8’s, 275’ 3-strand nylon rode (2007)
- 33 lb. Danforth
- 8’’ 5/16 High-tensile chain with 5/8’s 100’ nylon braid rode
- Bilge Gardboard drain and plug
- Edson steering pedestal
- Edson 28” destroyer stainless steel wheel
- Stainless steel pedestal guard
- Emergency tiller
- Stainless steel pulpit and pushpit – custom
- Stainless steel stanchions - custom
- Stainless steel double lifelines
- (3) Scuppers per side and (4) in the cockpit
- (4) 10” bronze cleats
- (6) Chocks, bronze
- Stainless steel anchor roller
- Primary winches: (2) Barient 32, self-tailing
- Secondary winches: Barient 28 std.
- Mainsheet winches: Barient 21 and 28 self-tailing
- Main mast: (2) Lewmar 40 self-tailing
- Mizzen mast: Barient 10P std.
- 25 lb. aluminum propane tank
- Assorted dock lines
- (4) Dock fenders
- (2) Winch handles
- Lee cloths
- Fitted canvas for all handrails, dorade boxes, spinnaker pole and boat hook chocks, main companionway and (3) hatches
- 3" Fitted exterior cushions
- Dodger - Thurston (2019)
- Main and mizzen sail cover (2019)
MIDNIGHT has three cabins; all are well-lit, bright and welcoming. The interior bulkheads, cabinets and main salon ceilings are brightly varnished dark mahogany, refinished in 2011. The interior cabin top and remaining ceilings were painted Mediterranean White in 2011. All cabin floors are removable and were reinforced in 2003, and last polyurethaned in 2013
There is a V-berth with center filler in the forward cabin. Hanging locker with various storage areas under V-berth and in various drawers.
Aft of and to port of the forward cabin is the en-suite forward head and shower. The forward head was totally remolded with Corian counter tops, mirrored walls, new cabinet doors, a teak grated floor and varnished bright mahogany trim in 1996.
The port side of the main salon was redesigned in 1998. The project included a U-shaped dinette, adjustable dining table (up, down, side to side), mahogany planked ceilings, bookshelf, and louvered cabinet with ample storage beneath the settee. The starboard side of the main salon was redesigned and installed in 2011. It follows the same design trim concept as that of the port side. However, its layout has a set of drawers adjacent to an oversized settee. Both port and starboard settees can be used as twin berths with lee cloths.
The full galley is located aft and to port of the main salon. There is a 3-burner Heritage 5-A propane stove/oven and a 9 cu.ft. icebox opposite the galley, which doubles as a stand-up chart table and is amply sized for a 6-to7 day passage. Oversized stainless steel sink, single lever faucet/sprayer faucet and countertops were newly installed in 2011.
- Full storage for food and utensils
- Heritage 3-burner stove
- 9 cu.ft. Insulated ice box
- ShurFlo 12-volt potable water pump
The main companionway is on centerline with the engine beneath and provides access to the main cabin. A second companionway was added in 1994; it is also on centerline and provides access to the aft cabin.
The aft cabin, redesigned in 1995, includes a reverse navigation station to port, an oversized sea berth to starboard, a set of drawers and a vanity facing aft. A full hanging locker is to port and a ½-hanging locker is beneath the 2nd companionway. Additional storage can be found beneath the sea berth.
The aft head is forward to starboard of the aft cabin and can be closed off to either the main salon or aft cabin. The aft head was redesigned in 2011 and includes a new stainless steel sink, faucet, countertop and mahogany trim.
The varnished mahogany bright work is immaculate and the teak and holly sole give the vessel a very traditional look. All cushions are dark green in color. There is generous headroom throughout. MIDNIGHT has an ideal layout for both offshore sailing and coastal cruising, and is a joy to sail.
- 120 Volt AC shore power 30 amp circuit
- Bass products 9000 AC/DC 44-switch distribution panel with led indicators
- (4) Group-31, AGM deep cycle batteries, 105-amp hour ea. (2021)
- Xantrex Freedom SW 2012 12V, 2000 W inverter/charger
- Balmar Series 6, high-output 110 amp alternator
- Balmar ARS-5 regulator
- Balmar Digital Duo charge
- Xintex/Fireboy SV-1 solenoid MS-2 propane sensor
- (6) Hella 2-speed fans
- (3) Chart light/cigarette lighter combo
- (7) Xenon dome light
- (5) ABI chrome bulkhead light set incandescent lights
- Tricolor mast-mounted running lights with strobe
- Foredeck, spreader, mizzen flood, steaming, bow and stern running lights
- 30 amp shore power cord
- 4-position battery switch
ELECTRONICS and NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT
- Raymarine E80 chart plotter/ radar
- Raymarine ST 6001 Smart pilot with hydraulic steering
- Raymarine ST60 Plus wind/speed
- Raymarine ST60 Plus Tridata speed/depth
- E.S. Danforth compass
- Icom VHF remote
- Raymarine ST60 Plus Tridata speed/depth
- (2) Raymarine graphic display
- Raymarine SR100 Sirius/XM satellite weather
- Raymarine remote autopilot control
- Weems and Plath electronic marine barometer
- Icom IC-M802 SSB radio
- Icom AT-140 HF SSB tuner
- Icom M502 VHF radio
- Raymarine graphic display
HEADS and BILGES
- Toilet - Groco
- Stainless steel sink and faucet (2011)
- Bulkhead mirrors and mahogany trim (2021)
- Re-designed fwd. head - cabinet doors, Corian counter top, stainless steel sink, (4) mirrors, shower sump, head and assorted plumbing (1996/97)
- Forward head - Wilcox Crittenden “Headmate”
- 18-gal Holding tank system
- 500 gph Rule 25s bilge pump
- Navy pump
- Cockpit diaphragm type
SAILS and RIGGING
- Main mast 56’ Metal Mast Inc., aluminum (New 1992, repainted 2004)
- Mizzen mast 28’ Metal Mast Inc., aluminum (New 1992, repainted 2004)
- Harken roller furling
- Marine Tides track system main mast and mizzen mast (2011)
- Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster
- (4) Lower shrouds 5/16 stainless steel and turnbuckles
- (2) Main cap shrouds 5/16 stainless steel and turnbuckles
- (6) Mizzen mast shrouds
- Inner headstay 50’, 9/32 stainless steel with Sta-Lok fittings
- Winchard # 5 585 babystay adjuster with ratchet
- (7) Spinlock XTS main mast clutches
- (2) Antal mizzen mast clutches
- (4) Schaefer 32-33-UC half-moon jib sheet lead cars
- Stainless steel life lines, gates and turnbuckles replaced
- Inner headstay
- Aluminum spinnaker pole
- Primary Winches: (2) Barient 32 self-tailing
- Secondary Winches: Barient 28 std.
- Mainsheet Winches: Barient 21 and 28 self-tailing
- Main Mast: (2) Lewmar 40 self-tailing
- Main halyard: T900 with Wichard shackle
- Second main halyard/topping lift: T900 with Wichard shackle
- (2) Jib halyards: T-900 with Nicro snap shackles
- (2) Spinnaker halyards: Endura braid with Tylaska T-8 shackle
- Inner headstay halyard: T-900 with Tylaska T-8 shackle
- Spinnaker pole topping lift halyard: Stayset Braid with Wichard shackle
- Mizzen halyard: Stayset X with Wichard shackle
- Mizzen staysail halyard: Stayset with thumb shackle
- Main sheet: Stayset
- (2) Jib sheets: Stayset
- (2) Spinnaker sheets: Stayset
- Mizzen sheet: Stayset
- Roller furling sheet: Stayset
- (2) Running backstays: Vectran-12
- (2) Running backstay Lewmar Synchro racing 72 mm fiddle, ratchet and becket cams
- (2) Snap shackles
- (4) Dock lines
- North main, Performance Series 200 AP tricut – Excellent. Washed and serviced (2021)
- North 135%, genoa Performance Series 200 AP tricut (2013) – Excellent. Replaces suncover, washed and serviced (2021)
- North 95%, jib, Soft Norlam SR Spectra, tricut - Very Good (1997)
- North 70%, fore staysail, 8.4 oz. Nordac - Excellent (2007)
- North storm jib ORC reg. 9.0 oz. 4800 Dacron – Never Used (2007)
- North storm trysail ORC reg. 9.5 oz. 4800 Dacron – Never Used (2007)
- North asym. spinnaker, Code 2/3A Norlon 75 with snuffer– Very Good (2006)
- North mizzen – Excellent (2014) Washed and serviced (2021)
- North asym. mizzen staysail, Code 3A Norlon 75 with snuffer – Excellent (2007)
- Hood symmetrical spinnaker and staysail– Fair/Old (1965)
- Hood staysail– Fair/Old (1965)
- Lifesling (2021)
- (6) Type 1 lifejackets with flashlights
- Flare kit
- Heaving line
- (2) Cockpit jack lines
- Emergency plug sets at each through-hull
- Plastimo tube-type radar reflector
- Fairclough winter cover and frame (2004)
The owner’s personal effects and tools are excluded from the
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
- Engine Make: Yanmar
- Engine Model: 4JH2-TE Turbo
- Engine Year: 1991
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type:
- Power HP: 62.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 1489.00
Click any image to view enlarged version. Swipe enlarged image to see additional enlarged images.
MIDNIGHT Races to Bermuda
Want more information about this yacht?
Curtis Stokes & Associates
Curtis Stokes and Associates, Inc. is a yacht brokerage firm consisting of nine offices and fifty brokers throughout the United States offering worldwide marketing, buyer brokerage services and yacht charters. We also specialize in marketing and selling Great Loop capable yachts and boats.