38' (11.66m) 38.8 - Merlin
This classic Bristol 38.8 is both comfortable and capable. Well maintained and has enjoyed numerous upgrades. Currently in the water and available for your inspection.
- Freeport Maine United States
- Fiberglass Hull
This classic Bristol 38.8 is both comfortable and capable.
Well maintained and has enjoyed numerous upgrades.
Currently in the water and available for your inspection.
Curtis Stokes & Associates is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by East Coast Yacht Sales. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
LOA: 38' 3" (11.66 Meters)
Type: Sail - Used
Beam: 12' "
Bridge Clearance: 58' "
Draft Max: 10' 3"
Draft Min: 4' 6"
Maximum Speed: Knots
Cruise Speed: Knots
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Fuel Tank: 36 Gallons (136.27 Liters)
Fresh Water: 90 Gallons (340.69 Liters)
Holding Tank: Gallons ( Liters)
Full DetailsView Full Details
Entering the boat down the companionway - you are immediately greeted by a bright varnished teak & holly sole, abundant varnished cabinetry throughout and brilliant natural light from the clear ports and hatches.
The Galley is immediately to port in a u-shaped arrangement. It is equipped with a three-burner stove located centrally, a double deep stainless sink facing forward with mixing faucet and separate spray nozzle. There is also a water filter for drinking water. A deep refrigerator is facing aft fitted with 12V refrigeration. There is plenty of storage with louvered door cabinets and custom teak holders for cups and glasses and knives.
To starboard and also aft is a long quarter berth that stretches under the cockpit. The berth also doubles as a seat for the fixed nav-desk that faces forward. The nav desk opens for chart storage and there is a set of four drawers for storage.
The main salon is amidships and features straight settees port and starboard, which pulls out for a wider berth. A beautifully varnished teak drop-leaf table is along the center-line, with bottle and cutlery storage in a compartment in the center of the table. Storage space is abundant in the main salon with storage compartments under the settees, two cabinets and bookshelves on both port and starboard. There is also a deep hanging locker and four further drawers to starboard. All of the cabinets and lockers have chromed hinges and beautiful teak louvered doors which were an upgrade from Bristol. The brilliant teak & holly sole is in excellent condition.
Forward of the main salon to port is the head compartment that is trimmed in teak also. There is a 2021 C-Head Composting Toilet, porcelain sink, four cabinets, large mirror on the bulkhead. Two opening ports provide ventilation to the head.
All the way forward is the master cabin that is fitted with an offset v-berth that has a removable filler that can be stored above the berth when not needed. There is a hanging locker, four drawers and sliding cabinets above the berth on either side. There is a large opening hatch directly over the berth that provides ventilation and natural lighting. Each berth is equipped with a variable speed fan.
Sails & Rigging
- 2020 Mack Pack sail bag and lazy jacks
- 2020 New mast step
- 2021 replaced standing rigging, including shrouds, stays and roller furler (Harken Ocean MKIV)
- 2021 Replaced Halyards (main, genoa and spinnaker) and topping lift.
- 2022 Tides Marine Sail Track
- 2022 Cleaned and stitched genoa and main sails.
- Nav Tec hydraulic back stay
- Stainless Steel chain plates rebedded in 2020
- Lewmar 48 primary winches, oversized
- Lewmar 40 cabin top winch (two speed main halyard)
- Lewmar 40 two speed halyard winch on starboard side of the mast
- Harken Roller Furler
- 165% Genoa High Cut 1997 excellent condition
- Dacron Mainsail (triple stitched) with two deep reefs 1997 excellent condition
- Asymmetrical Spinnaker with sock
- #1 Genoa
- Working Jib
- Storm Jib
- Dodger- 2015
- Cockpit awning with zippers on sides and back
- Large sunshade
- Spinnaker Pole
Electrical and Mechanical
- Switch panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 2019 and 2022 Replaced Batteries
- 120 Volt AC
- Switch panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 30 amp shore power connection aft
- 50' 30 amp shore power cord
- Water heater (also engine supply)
- Universal 5444 4 cylinder 44hp diesel auxiliary engine
- Fixed 3 bladed propeller with weed deflector
- 12v and 110v outlets throughout
- 175W inverter
- 300w inverter Heart Interface
- Link 20 battery monitor
- Newmar 30 Amp charger
- Trojan T-105 x 4 batteries
- Engine panel with custom LED alarm indicators
- Racor water LED
- Starter function LED
- Glow plug function LED
- Secondary Blower
- 2020 New transmission with oil cooler
- 2020 Balmar Battery Monitor
- 2020 replaced engine hoses, including exhaust and raw water.
- 2021 LED masthead anchor/tricolor light
- 2021 LED Steaming Light
- 2021 Replaced Mast Wiring
- Alpha Auto pilot linear drive below deck
- Garmin 4208 GPS Map Color Chart Plotter -2015- in navpod at helm
- Garmin GPS 75
- 2020 Garmin Radar
- ICOM VHF with DSC 2017
- Raymarine wind, depth, knotmeter 2017
- Kenwood CD player and radio with two pair of speakers, salon or cockpit with VHF feed
Hull & Deck
Solid fiberglass hull with vinylester resin in the outer most laminates. Fiberglass decks with molded in nonskid and balsa coring for added stiffness and weight reduction. One of the nice build details in the Bristol 38.8 is that the factory cut back the coring in way of primary deck penetrations and back filled with epoxy greatly mitigating the chances of moisture getting to coring in the event of a leak.
The exterior of the Bristol 38.8 is as nicely detailed as the interior. A generous cockpit with large sail locker to port and lazarette aft provides ample room for storage and seating. Wide side decks allow for ease of movement fore and aft. Varnished teak cockpit coamings, toe rails, grab rails and brow on the house give the yacht a look of elegance. Double stainless steel bow and stern rails and stanchions with double lifelines and gates P&S. A flip down stainless swim/boarding ladder is at the stern.
- SS dorades
- Stern swim ladder with teak steps
- Sea cocks replaced throughout with backing pads
- Tall toe rail package
- Custom rub rail with solid ss striker, re-bedded 2015
- Recent Awl Grip (Super Jet Black) double boot stripe
- Cetol finish on exterior teak, professionally stripped and recoated, 2016
- 3 burner propane stove with thermostat controlled oven
- 2 20# propane tanks
- Sentry gas vapor detector
- 12v refrigeration system
- Custom storage in cabinets
- Custom carving knife storage
- Emergency manual bilge pump
- Foot pumps at galley sink fresh/raw water
- H/C pressure water
- High water bilge pump
- Sump bilge pump
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit
- Cockpit shower, hot and cold
- Maxwell 800 Electric Windlass with capstan and wildcat
- 35# CQR type anchor 100' chain 100' nylon rode
- Stainless Steel Danforth Anchor with 150' nylon rode
- Custom stem fitting with double bow rollers.
- 2020 45# Spade Anchor
- 2022 Propane Tanks replaced,10 lbs. each
- 2021 Composting Toilet
- 2020 Sunbrella Cockpit Cushions
- 2019 6-person liferaft
- 2019 Fairclough Canvas Winer Cover
- Built in Hooka diving system, with 50' air hose
- Variable speed fans in owners, salon and quarter berth
- SERS diesel cabin heater bulkhead mounted
- Lee clothes
- Cockpit cushions
- Additional short nav desk cushion
- MOB pole
- Harnesses and jack lines
- Fenders with covers
- Clock and Barometer
- Trawler lamp
- Wind scoop
- Extensive documentation of the ships systems
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
- Engine Make: Universal
- Engine Model: MD5444
- Engine Year:
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 44.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 2700.00
Click any image to view enlarged version. Swipe enlarged image to see additional enlarged images.
Want more information about this yacht?
Curtis Stokes & Associates
Curtis Stokes and Associates, Inc. is a yacht brokerage firm consisting of nine offices and fifty brokers throughout the United States offering worldwide marketing, buyer brokerage services and yacht charters. We also specialize in marketing and selling Great Loop capable yachts and boats.