51' (15.54m) 51 - AIRBORNE
Over $750,000 in upgrades on systems and equipment!
- Somerset Massachusetts United States
- Composite Hull
Proven design & beautiful craftmanship. Recent major refit includes all new carbon rig, sails, electronics, gen, paint, canvas, upholstery and much more.
Curtis Stokes & Associates is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by Wellington Yacht Partners. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
LOA: 51' " (15.54 Meters)
Type: Sail - Used
Beam: 14' "
Bridge Clearance: ' "
Draft Max: 11' 10"
Draft Min: 5' 10"
Maximum Speed: Knots
Cruise Speed: Knots
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Composite
Fuel Tank: 173 Gallons (654.88 Liters)
Fresh Water: 174 Gallons (658.66 Liters)
Holding Tank: Gallons ( Liters)
Full DetailsView Full Details
AIRBORNE is a nice example of the popular Hinckley 51 series boasting a handsome profile, proven hull design and beautiful Maine craftsmanship inside and out. Aside from a world cruise in 2004, she has primarily been based between New England and the Bahamas. The yacht was damaged in the Bahamas during Hurricane Dorian in 2019, washing ashore with hull damage port side midships that allowed partial flooding along port side bilge area. She was subsequently brought up to the renowned Brooklin Boat Yard in Maine where in 2020 the original owner spared no expense in repairing damage and upgrading many other systems and equipment at a cost of over $750,000. A summary of all work done is noted herein, including new carbon mast, boom furler, rigging, sails, electronics, canvas, generator, electrical systems, watermaker, upholstery, hull paint and much more. A post-repair survey is available upon request.
AIRBORNE sleeps four in two private ensuite cabins, plus four comfortably in the main salon. The interior is beautifully crafted in satin finished American cherry including solid trim, drawer fronts, cabin doors, louvered cabinet doors and hull ceilings. Cabin soles are solid teak and holly finished with gloss varnish. All interior varnish and cabin soles were refinished in 2020. All hanging lockers have aromatic cedar sheathing. New upholstery and cushions added throughout in 2020.
Starting forward, the owner’s cabin features a double V-berth and an abundance of storage including a bureau with numerous drawers, upper locker and countertop each side, lockers above berth and a double hanging locker. A large deck hatch and cabin portlight provide light and ventilation.
The owner’s private ensuite head features a white Corian countertop with sink, mirror, several storage lockers, a Vacuflush toilet, portlight and dorade vent. There is a separate shower stall with plexiglass door and teak seat.
Further aft, the full-beam main salon features a U-shaped extendable settee each side with additional pilot berths outboard and a solid cherry dining table on center with drop-down leaves and storage inside. There is a bureau/bar area with custom locker storage forward to starboard, plus several portlights and a large opening deck hatch.
White Corian countertops with flush molded twin sinks, retractable faucet and manual pump faucet
- Force 10 gimballed 3-burner stainless steel propane stove with oven and broiler
- Large top-opening Grunert refrigerator and separate freezer compartments
- Microwave oven and additional storage inboard on centerline
- Knife rack
- Water filter
Aft to port is a generous guest cabin with V-berth, lockers above, a tall bureau and a hanging locker. There is an opening porthole and a large portlight.
The private ensuite guest head features a vanity with sink, mirror, several storage lockers, a Vacuflush toilet, opening hatch, large portlight, and dorade vent. There is a separate shower stall with plexiglass door and teak seat.
A separate nav station is located aft to port adjacent the companionway. There is a full size chart table with storage inside, flush mounted nav instruments and switch panel outboard. There is also a dedicated seat with backrest.
NAVIGATION & ELECTRONICS
The following was all new in 2020 with the exception of back-up autopilot:
- Raymarine Quantum 2Q24D radar
- Raymarine Axiom Pro S12 touch screen display at companionway
- (2) Raymarine Axiom Pro S9 touch screen displays at nav station
- (3) Raymarine i70s displays above companionway
- Raymarine multi display at nav station
- Raymarine AIS 700 Class B transceiver
- Raymarine Ray 73 VHF
- Standard Horizon HX890 hand-held VHF
- Raymarine Evolution autopilot with (2) wireless remotes and independent ST 6002 back-up autopilot
- KVH Tracphone
- Iridium Extreme 9575 Sat phone
- Fusion stereo with speakers in fwd cabin, salon, aft cabin and cockpit
- Navionics chart chips - US & Canada, Caribbean and South America
- Ritchie 6” compass at helm
- 12 volt DC/120 volt AC electrical system
- Over 90% of wiring replaced in 2020
- (2) AGM 8D house batteries and (2) engine/generator start batteries (all new 2020)
- Fisher Panda 8 generator (new 2022, 22 hours June 2023 )
- Magnum Energy 2800 W inverter/charger (2020)
- (2) 30 amp shore power inlets and cords for house and air conditioning
- Overhead dome lights and Frigast Ocean stainless reading lights
- 12 volt fans throughout the interior
- 12 volt outlets at nav station and helm
- Trident gas solenoid and detector
- High water bilge alarm
- Electric horn
- Running lights, deck light, steaming light and tri-color masthead light
ENGINE ROOM/MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT
- Yanmar 4JH2-DTE 88 HP diesel engine (3,632 hours June 2023)
- New transmission and exterior components (2020)
- New propeller shaft, PSS shaft seal, coupling, cutlass bearing and Maxi 3 blade prop in 2020
- Racor fuel filters with water alarm and remote oil filter
- Engine oil and overheat alarm system
- Bow thruster with controls at helm
- Grunert dual 12-volt and engine driven refrigeration system
- Air Conditioning dual zones – 16,000 Btu in salon and 6,000 Btu in owner’s cabin
- Sea Recovery Aqua Whisper water maker, 31 gal/hour (2020)
- Freshwater pump new 2020
- Stainless steel 12-gallon hot water heater – engine heated/110 volt
- (4) Stainless steel water tanks 174 gallons total
- (2) Aluminum fuel tanks 173 gallons total
- Holding and grey water tanks (new pumps 2020)
- Tank level gauges
- (2) Vacuflush toilets
- (2) Electric 12-volt DC bilge pumps (new 2020)
- (2) Manual bilge pumps
- Emergency tiller system
- Fireboy automatic engine room fire extinguisher
SAILS & RIGGING
- Offshore Spars carbon fiber triple spreader mast (2020)
- Bamar carbon furling boom (2020)
- Harken MK 3 genoa furler (2020)
- Harken hydraulic backstay and boom vang (2020)
- Harken mainsheet traveler system
- Rod standing rigging (2020)
- All running rigging new (2020)
- 2:1 removable IFS/Staysail halyard with running backstays (2020)
- North 3Di Ocean 370 full batten furling mainsail (2020)
- North 3Di Ocean 370 furling genoa (2020)
- North Dacron storm jib (2020)
- (2) Lewmar 66 ST electric primary winches
- Lewmar 48 ST electric main halyard/mainsheet winch
- (2) Lewmar 58 ST secondary winches
- Lewmar 48 ST centerboard hoist winch
- (2) Lewmar 48 ST halyard winches
CONSTRUCTION & EQUIPMENT
This hull and deck are constructed from a hand laid laminate of blister resistant Vinylester laminating resin reinforced with a knit hybrid fabric of Kevlar/E-glass for strength against repeated impact. A balsa core is vacuum bagged into the laminate to provide the greatest degree of stiffness and thermal/acoustical insulation possible. The skin coat is chopped mat in low-shrink Vinylester resin to provide a superior surface finish and a greater resistance to water osmosis. The core is removed and the hull is massively reinforced with additional layer of fiberglass in such areas as the hull/deck connecting flange, centerline and keel, chain plates, rudderpost, and all through-hull fittings. AIRBORNE has external lead ballast with a fiberglass centerboard, and a skeg protected rudder. She draws 5’-10” with centerboard up and 11’-10” with centerboard down.
The deck is one piece fiberglass molding which incorporates a hybrid knit fabric of Kevlar/E-glass to reduce weight over core material of cross-linked, closed cell, PVC foam. Core is deleted and replaced with solid layer of reinforcing glass laminate in the way of major penetrations and high stress areas. The core is vacuum bagged to the outside skin using a special adhesive. The hull has a recess flange molded in to receive the deck that is then bonded and thru-bolted to form a permanent watertight, hull/deck joint. Interior bulkheads are then bonded to the deck using bi-axial fiberglass.
Hull is Flag Blue Awlgrip with gold cove stripe, single while boot stripe (all new 2020) and red bottom (new paint June 2023). Teak rub rail with stainless striker – port side new 2020.
Deck is white gelcoat with beige non-skid.
- Stainless steel bow/stern pulpits and stanchions with 27” wire lifelines, side gates and stern gate (all new 2020)
- Custom steam head fitting with bow roller
- Lewmar electric anchor windlass
- 60 lb CQR primary anchor with all chain rode and chain snubber
- Danforth anchor with rope/chain rode
- Fortress anchor with rope/chain rode
- Custom forward anchor locker with saltwater deck wash spigot
- (4) Deck hatches with varnished teak frames and plexiglass covers
- Varnished teak lazarette hatch
- (5) Stainless cowl vents with varnished teak dorade boxes
- Varnished teak toe rails, drip rails, grab rails, ensign pole, cockpit trim, drink holders and fold-up cockpit table (most ecterior varnish stripped and re-built, in-process June 2023)
- Recessed stainless steel genoa tracks and toe rail genoa tracks
- Harken stainless turning blocks and misc hardware
- Stainless steel fold-down boarding ladder with teak tread built into stern pulpit
- Outboard motor bracket mounted on stern pulpit
- Forespar outboard motor davit
- Achilles dinghy with Yamaha 9.9 hp 4-stroke outboard motor
- Weblon dodger with rugged stainless frame and grab bars on back and side (new 2020)
- Bimini with drop-down stainless frame and connector to bimini (all new 2020)
- Molded steering pedestal with stainless guard
- Elkide-covered steering wheel
- Teak cockpit sole
- Cockpit cushions (2020)
- Harken bosun’s chair
- Misc spare parts
- Fenders and dock lines
- Horseshoe life ring on stainless steel bracket
- Life Sling
- (6) Inflatable PFDs with harnesses
- (8) PFDs
- Viking six-man life raft mounted on cabin top
- Ditch bag with flares, EPIRB and first aid kit
- Sea anchor
- Fire extinguishers
REFIT AND REPAIR SUMMARY
- The following is a summary of the major refit and repair work completed by Brooklin Boat Yard in 2020:
- Port side hull fabrication/repair in Kevlar and balsa core
- Scarfed in new bulkheads and new Kevlar tabbing to hull
- New head and port side saloon: Total rebuild of head space and port saloon double bunk.
- All tanks removed, pressure tested, cleaned and reinstalled. New plastic holding tank
- Stripped all exterior paint. Sealed, primed, faired and repainted, bottom, topsides, boot and cove (Awlgrip)
- New toe rail on port side
- New eyebrow and handrails
- New Offshore carbon spar with Bamar carbon furling boom
- All new rod rigging
- New Harken hydraulic backstay, vang and jib furler
- All new running rigging
- New North Sails: Boom Furling Mainsail 3Di Ocean 370 19,600 Dpi., Furling Genoa 3Di Ocean 370 19,600 Dpi., Storm Jib Polyester High Visibility 10oz Storm Orange
- All exterior varnish stripped and recoated with a base layer of West System 207
- All interior varnish redone, new sole varnish
- All interior deep cleaned before repairs were completed. The whole boat was washed out with hot water, mold killer, and lots of cleaning agents
- All systems were thoroughly inspected and replaced/repaired. If water touched them, they were replaced
- New generator
- Same engine, new transmission. Engine had all exterior components replaced and rewired.
- Drive Train: new drive shaft, new PSS shaft seal, new coupling, new cutlass bearing, new prop.
- Electrical: All DC and AC wiring and components were replaced if touched by water. Overall, it was a 90% complete re-wire of the boat. The only pieces that remained were the electrical panels and battery switches.
- All new batteries and battery wiring.
- All new electronics package: Raymarine Axiom Pro S12, (2) Raymarine Aziom Pro S9, Raymarine Quatum2 Q24D Radar, 3 Raymarine i70s Sailing Instruments, Raymarine Wind Sensor, Raymarine Ev-1 heading sensor, Raymarine Speed and Depth Transducer, Raymarine p70s AutoPilot Controller and remote, Rudder Reference, ACU-400, Raymarine type 3 12v hydraulic linear drive, Raymarine Ray73 VHF, Raymarine AIS 700 class B transceiver, Standard Horizon HX890 Handheld VHF, Fusion Apollo RA770 stereo and remote, Poly-Planar MA-6500 speakers, Navionics Chart Chips, Iridium Extreme 9575 satellite phone.
- New Harken electric winch on cabin top. All winches completely broken down, serviced, repaired, rebuilt
- New Genoa Track
- All new Port windows
- All DC motors were replaced or re-built: windlass, alternators, starter motors, bow thruster
- All new charging equipment: wiring, regulators etc.
- All new wiring and plumbing: bilge pumps, reefer pumps, AC pump, fresh water pump,
- New Sea Recovery R/O watermaker
- New stern rail, pulpit, stanchions, and lifelines
- Built new laz hatch
Owner’s personal effects
- Engine Make: Yanmar
- Engine Model: 4JH2-DTE
- Engine Year:
- Engine Type:
- Drive Type:
- Power HP: 88.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 3632.00
Click any image to view enlarged version. Swipe enlarged image to see additional enlarged images.
Want more information about this yacht?
Curtis Stokes & Associates
Curtis Stokes and Associates, Inc. is a yacht brokerage firm consisting of nine offices and fifty brokers throughout the United States offering worldwide marketing, buyer brokerage services and yacht charters. We also specialize in marketing and selling Great Loop capable yachts and boats.