1980 Prairie Boat Works
29' (8.84m) Trawler - Diego Mateo
Diego Mateo is a highly sought after Prairie 29 Coastal Cruiser designed by early Hatteras designer Jack Hargrave to be a comfortable, economical cruiser with many recent upgrades including new 16,000 BTU HVAC System. Please see full specs for all the photos and details.
- Southport North Carolina United States
- Fiberglass Hull
Diego Mateo is a sought after Prairie 29 trawler designed by Jack Hargrave, who helped design the early Hatteras Yachts. She is in good condition for her age. She features a fuel efficient 2004 150 HP John Deere 4045 diesel with only 1700 hrs, Generator, Bow Thruster, New 16,000 BTU Marine-Air HVAC system, Autopilot, Garmin Chart-plotter and much more. (Please see all the details and photos)
The current owner bought Diego Mateo in 2021, after shopping for years, to begin the Great Loop when he retires in 2024. “Sound Alibi”, as she was named previously, had been maintained by a marine professional for 17 years. The previous owner kept her at his home, regularly updated and serviced the vessel and is available for consult upon purchase. A major refit was done 2003-2004 including new engine, fuel tanks, water tanks and head re-build.
Diego Mateo’s current owner has continued to care for the vessel and has enjoyed cruising her locally. Now that they intend to entertain guests during their loop the couple has found a larger vessel and offer Diego Mateo for sale. She is available to see by appointment in Southport NC. Please see photos and Full Details below. All manuals and Maintenance/receipts going back 18 years are available upon acceptance of offer.
LOA: 29' " (8.84 Meters)
Type: Power - Used
Beam: 12' "
Bridge Clearance: ' "
Draft Max: 2' 9"
Draft Min: ' "
Maximum Speed: Knots
Cruise Speed: Knots
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Fuel Tank: 180 Gallons (681.37 Liters)
Fresh Water: 100 Gallons (378.54 Liters)
Holding Tank: 26 Gallons (98.42 Liters)
Full DetailsView Full Details
Prairie 29 Vessel walkthrough
You can board Diego Mateo from the swim-platform, through a door in the transom, or port and starboard gates just forward of the cockpit. The cockpit has a washdown spigot, an outboard motor storage mount with line hangers incorporated and a large lazarette with access to steering gear and plenty of room for storage. From the cockpit there are 2 steps to the port or starboard side decks. The side decks are fairly wide for a vessel this size and the railings are tall and provide a secure passage to the fore-deck. The fore deck provides plenty of space for lounging or handling dock-lines and ground tackle. The fly-bridge is accessed by ladder from the port side of the cockpit. The fly-bridge has plenty of head-room and excellent visibility. There is a center helm with full gauges and controls, a helm seat with room for two and room for a couple patio chairs. The rigid frame top with canvas could have an enclosure attached.
Diego Mateo's main cabin is accessed from the cockpit through her beautifully finished door. The parquet cabin sole is in good shape and is flush with cockpit. The main-cabin has an open, galley-up layout with L shaped convertible settee/double-berth to port and a small dinette to starboard. 360 panoramic view provides plenty of natural light and excellent visibility from the helm forward of the dinette. To port forward of the settee the galley has an L shaped Formica counter with 2 burner electric stove and a large stainless basin. There are cabinets above and below the counter and chart table with storage forward. The refrigerator/freezer is to starboard under the helm seat. The lower helm has full gauges and controls including autopilot, bow-thruster, windlass, Compass and depth-sounder.
Forward, down 3 steps, the forward cabin has a head/shower to port with electric head, counter with small stainless basin, and storage lockers and opening port for ventilation. There is a large locker to starboard with shelves. Forward from this foyer the V-berth has room for 2 adults, there is a hatch and 2 opening ports for natural light and ventilation.
The engine compartment is accessed through 4 separate hatches in the salon floor. There is ample space to access the 150HP John Deere engine, installed in 2004, for general maintenance. The compartment contains the water heater, aft port, a large battery box forward, Generator aft starboard, fuel tanks port and starboard were replace in 2004 as were the water tanks.
Navigation & Electronics
- 2 Compasses 1 Fly-bridge 1 Lower Helm
- 2 Standard Horizon VHF Radios (1 installed 2021)
- 2 Raymarine digital depth sounders (2020)
- Garmin GPSmap 498 (Fly-Bridge)
- RayMarine Autopilot (with remote at lower helm)
- Marine stereo
Diego Mateo Mechanical Equipment
- (2004) 150 HP John Deere 4045 Diesel Engine 1700 Hrs.
- Spare Propeller.
- Vetus Bow-Thruster
- Perkins YH3XL Generator 245 Hrs.
- 16,000 BTU Marine Air EnviroComfort HVAC
- Bus heater
- Norcold 12/120 V Refrigerator/Freezer
- Jabsco electric head (joker valve & motor replaced 2004
- Fresh water supply pump
- Fresh water washdown pump
- AC cooling pump
- 2 Bilge pumps
- 2 30 amp shore power circuits with 2 50' cords
- 1 DEKA 908D, 2 DEKA DC24MF Batteries (4/2021)
- 12 volt Charger
- Stainless LED 12V interior lights Red/White (installed 2022)
Deck & Anchor Equipment
- Fenders and dock-lines
- Lewmar Pro electric windlass (new controls, deck and helm)
- ? Lb. Delta plow anchor on bow-roller
- 150' rope rode with 15' 5/16 Chain
- 100' all chain rode
- spare #13 fluke anchor
- 2 Fire extinguishers
- CO2 detectors
- New Smoke detectors, measure ionization and photoelectric
Recent Maintenance & Uphrades
- New 16,000 BTU Marine Air Enviro-Comfort HVAC System
- Engine & Generator Serviced
- Fluids, including Oil Analysis (available upon acceptance of offer)
- New Impeller (Engine)
- New Heat Exchanger (Engine)
- New Batteries 1 DEKA 90 8D / 2 DEKA DC24MF (4/2021)
- New Grounding Plate
- Bow Thruster Serviced
- New Lewmar Pro Windlass
- 2 New RayMarine Depth sounders (2020)
- Bottom Painted 12/2021 (Sea Hawk Biotex)
- Bottom cleaning and zinc replacement done regularly
- Teak Swim-platform repaired
- Cushions replaced (With high density foam)
- New Sunbrella Drapes (Salon)
- Window gutters installede
- All 12V interior lights replaced with stainless LED Red/White Fixtures
- Frioli Sleep System under V-Berth provides superior comfort and ventilation beneath mattresses.
- Norcold 12/120 volt Refrigerator/Freezer
- Kenyon 2 buener electric/alcohol Stove
- Microwave Oven
- Hot/Cold pressure water
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
- Engine Make: John Deere
- Engine Model: 4045TFM50
- Engine Year: 2004
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 150.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 1700.00
Click any image to view enlarged version. Swipe enlarged image to see additional enlarged images.